Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I wrote a little song for you (with a melody I'd borrowed put to words that didn't rhyme)

Well this is my 70th post. Believe it or not I've said 70 things over the last half year plus, and each one of them has been so profound and world shattering your life probably changed. Right?

Well, I figured I'd do another post about music. I really started to get interested in music in about 8th grade. To be honest it started when Scott Haines burned me a mix. On that mix was mostly popular rap songs of the day, but I also had him throw on a Green Day song (who I knew a little about) and an MxPx song (who I had only heard of from a couple guys at church) The funny thing was with that mix, I found myself skipping the rap songs and basically just listening to those MxPx and Green Day songs. Shortly after I bought Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo by MxPx, and had my first favorite band. That also got me into the punk/pop-punk scene. Not too long after I had converted Jason and eventually Andrew, and pretty soon we were going to concerts. MxPx, Ataris, Millencolin, Taking Back Sunday, Midtown, Less Than Jake, Brand New, etcetera. Lots of concerts; lot's of mosh pits. Anyway, from that point on music became an important part of all of our lives. None of us listen to that old pop-punk sound these days quite like we used to, but I still love to throw in an old album from 10th grade, scream the music at the top of my lungs and remember all the good times that music helped provide. These days I would say my musical interests lie over a much broader spectrum from indie to hip-hop to experimental to hardcore. In fact I don't like to hole myself into musical categories because I'm open to "good" music regardless of the category it might fall in. I used to be much more of a musical snob or elitist while now I've come to the realization that if you're going to look down on someone just because they haven't heard of some obscure band or because they listen to music on the radio, you really are saying less about your musical tastes and more about the fact that you have a superiority complex. It seems like music snobs care more about laughing at other people's music than enjoying their own. I personally don't care what other people listen to as long as I can listen to what I like in peace.

Okay. So over the years there have been some albums I've come across that I have never gotten tired of. I don't know what it is about these albums, but when I have nothing else that sounds good, one of these always will. And it's not necessarily that these are the best albums that I know about, some of them might not be as amazing as other ones in my collection, they are just more tireless. There are plenty of albums not listed that I think are great, so complex and well thought out, beautifully performed and executed and everything. But I just can't listen to it every day. So don't think of this list as my all-time favorite albums. This is just a list of the albums that, as of right now, I never seem to get tired of and can leave playing in my car for days on end.

1. mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister (indie rock, 2006)

Despite all that I just said, mewithoutYou is actually my very favorite band and this is my favorite album. The lyrics are so ridiculously good, the music is so unique and surprisingly catchy (but might be hard for some to get in to), and every song really speaks to me on a personal level. The album deals with things like faith, God, free-will, doubt, redemption, and more. I think you either "get it" or don't, but with this half-shouting, stream-of-consciousness style, these guys have created a truly unique, satisfying, and enjoyable album that flows perfectly. "Some individual songs like 'A Glass Can Only Spill What It Contains' make me want to punch a wall and scream in the choruses, but then sing and dance along in the verses."

2. William Fitzsimmons - Goodnight (folk, 2006)

This is the alum I was listening to when I got the idea for this list. One thing about me is I love exquisitely sad music. And this acoustic, mellow, whispery collection of songs is certainly sad. The whole album deals with the pain caused by family falling apart. Some people will no doubt be turned off by such a sad inspiration, but it really is beautifully done. The pain the singer sings of feels so authentic that you can't help but empathize. And to be honest it leaves me aware of that pain all while making me love my family even more. And sometimes brokenness is a great place to find hope.

3. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (progressive rock, 1995)

More sadness? Yes and no. This album embodies countless different moods and sounds as you go through the two discs and 28 songs, from the piano intro to orchestral tones, churning grooves, whiny petulance, and new wave sound. Billy Corgan's voice might not be for everyone, but to me this album is truly fantastic. Every needed detail is there, and the variety keeps me from ever getting tired of it.

4. New Found Glory - Coming Home (pop-punk, 2006)

It's hard to pinpoint what it is about this album. I'm as surprised as you are about having a New Found Glory album on this list. But though their last three or so albums have been all but ignored by me, there's something about this one that keeps me coming back. I guess it feels more mature than their old TRL stuff in a way that is catchy without seeming to care about radio accessibility, and without forcing it's sugar-coated melodies down the throat of anybody in the vicinity. The lyrics reflect a happier more content group and are no longer about high school drama but deal more with families and marriages and kids. There is still some heartache too but it's more mature and the album manages to stay energetic and naturally fun. His voice is still intrinsically nasally but without the sugary edge, so it sounds fuller and is easier to handle. But make no mistake, this is still a New Found Glory album, full of melody and personality. All the best attributes of their earlier work are there and presented in a way that grows more memorable with each listen.


5. Kanye West - College Dropout
(hip hop/rap, 2004)

As West has grown to international stardom, I can't help but think he has yet to top his debut grammy-hogging album. The album poses ethical questions about poverty, the black community, education, and even religion. But really, I like it because his lyrics are thoughtful, provocative, sometimes funny, the songs make me want to sing along, the beats are innovative, and it tells a story. It's personal, and therefore relatable and enjoyable.




Honorable mentions: Thrice - Artist In The Ambulance; The Format - Interventions and Lullabies; Brand New - Deja Entendu.

No comments: