Monday, December 29, 2008

Hapworth.

In case you didn't know, I'm a bona-fide J.D. Salinger expert as I have now read every book published by the man. He is probably my favorite author. My favorite books by him are, in order:

1. Franny and Zooey
2. The Catcher In The Rye
3. Nine Stories
4. Raise High The Roofbeam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction

I want to say that 1 and 2 are so close it's hardly fair to say I like one better than the other. It most likely depends on the mood.

Salinger, who is still alive, hasn't published any books since 1963. He apparently is a bit reclusive and doesn't like attention. His last published work, a novella entitled "Hapworth 16, 1924," appeared in The New Yorker on June 19, 1965. The exciting news is a small publisher has made an arrangement with Salinger to publish "Hapworth 16, 1924" in book form. This is supposed to be available January, 2009. As in a few days.

So to anyone who feels guilty for not getting me a Christmas present... now you have no excuse.

No comments: